Author Topic: MadRaiders #32 Needs Help For Research On 1993 LA Raiders (for book I'm writing)  (Read 2430 times)

MadRaiders#32

Wow I am surprised that this topic is still here but I am thankful that it is.  This project was delayed due to all kinds of circumstances, thankfully all 18 games have been written out in narrative format but I still have to take care of the preseason and the finale (where are they now) chapters.  I am sorry to anyone who was on the lookout for this book.  I also want to thank all of you who have helped me prepare this.

Mike

MadRaiders#32

Remember the Broncos/Raiders playoff game back in 1994?  Remember that fight between the two teams.  Here is how I describe it in my upcoming book.

"With the Raiders running game struggling, Art Shell asked injured fullback Steve Smith to enter the game and provide the team with his superb run blocking.  Smith’s ankle still ailed him but he made the most of it and starting from their own 16, Steve Smith led the way twice for Tyrone Montgomery which netted six yards.  On third down Jeff Hostetler called for another pass but finding nobody open Hostetler scrambled out of bounds at the Raider 28 for a first down.  As Hostetler quietly approached the out of bounds line, defensive back Le-Lo Lang dived at Hostetlers knees in an attempt to make sure that Hostetler stepped out of bounds.  Hostetler took the diving attempt by Lang as a cheap shot and the pair exchanged words and blows.  In front of the Raiders sideline both Lang and Hostetler locked themselves in aggressive combat for a moment but as the pair disengaged 305 pound Steve Wisnewsiki got a running start and bulldozed the 185 pound Lang to the ground.  A small fight ensued between the Raiders bench and several Bronco players which included a separate scuffle between Tim Brown and Tyrone Braxton.  The problem between Brown and Braxton had been boiling since the pair had exchanged words one week earlier.  On Hostetler’s scramble, Braxton blanketed Brown and to make sure that Brown didn't beat him again the Bronco defensive back hit Brown in the back of the helmet with a forearm.  Brown stumbled but recovered and easily turned around to engage Braxton in combat.  The pair had to be separated by referees and Braxton was hit with a unnecessary roughness penalty.  The brutal hatred and rivalry between the Raiders and Broncos had boiled over with the Raiders getting the better of the deal with a first down at their own 42-yard line."

MadRaiders#32

“Everyone wants to talk about the memories, I guess the things that stand out with me were the defeat, the defeats the agony of defeat.  The Sea of Hands catch was a day of glory but to be honest with you, in the back of my mind I remember the fact that we could have won a Super Bowl that year.”

MadRaiders#32

Do you have Raiders pics from 1990-1994???????????????????????????????
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
Fans,

If you have pictures from the 1993 season I would love to include them in the book.  You would recieve full credit OR if you have any photos of the Los Angeles Memorial Colisium between 1990-1994 it would be appreciated if you could take the time to let me know, scan them and get them to me.

So if you have pics, please help.  I know we have the best fans in the world and we help one another.

Email me here or post a messege and I'll get back to you

MadRaiders#32

I will try to post more excerpts.  I am getting really proud of this book because I am closing in on the final four games.  I have to endure the final game between the Packers and the Raiders.  L.A. lost 28-0.

raidersully

Re: Just a taste
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
I have been editing this for some time and using NFL Films as a source I have constructed this to introduce Howie Long in my book.

"Howie Long epitomized the “Commitment to Excellence” philosophy of the Raiders.  Long used a combination of speed off the ball and intelligence to wreck the backfields of his enemies.  Perhaps his greatest strength was his ability to defend both the run and the pass.  Many times he would collapse a pocket like a hurricane or his presence would allow a fellow defender to stop the play in the backfield.  Double teams usually found their way to him which would not only free other defenders but limit an opponent’s offense whose gameplans were required to account for Mr. Long.  However, his other valuable asset lay in his versatility.  Officially listed as a defensive end, Howie Long could play both end positions and because of his natural strength he could man either tackle positions.   Since he was so aggressive and relentless in pursuing the ball he could easily dominate a game and destroy his opposition."

What do you guys think?
Makes me long (no pun intended) for the Raiders of yester year. I don't know if there is much more that can be said about the man. Great job MadRaiders.

Offline Raider Greg

• Your Host
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Anyone who knew anything about the Raiders would have to say............HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAA! That was a perfect discription of the man.....I LOVED it when he would work at tackle, you could see the stress in the O line before the snap of the ball with the center pointing at Long. Let's get someone like him this draft......That would be PERFECT!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:46:15 PM by Randy »

MadRaiders#32

Just a taste
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
I have been editing this for some time and using NFL Films as a source I have constructed this to introduce Howie Long in my book.

"Howie Long epitomized the “Commitment to Excellence” philosophy of the Raiders.  Long used a combination of speed off the ball and intelligence to wreck the backfields of his enemies.  Perhaps his greatest strength was his ability to defend both the run and the pass.  Many times he would collapse a pocket like a hurricane or his presence would allow a fellow defender to stop the play in the backfield.  Double teams usually found their way to him which would not only free other defenders but limit an opponent’s offense whose gameplans were required to account for Mr. Long.  However, his other valuable asset lay in his versatility.  Officially listed as a defensive end, Howie Long could play both end positions and because of his natural strength he could man either tackle positions.   Since he was so aggressive and relentless in pursuing the ball he could easily dominate a game and destroy his opposition."

What do you guys think?

MadRaiders#32

Just finished week 12 against Buffalo.  I am about to begin week 13 versus Seattle.  Should be fun.

MadRaiders#32

Currently on the Buffalo game, week 12.  It is fortunate that I found someome who had VHS copies of this.  I miss the old Raiders, big plays and tough defense.

MadRaiders#32

I hope that it sells, I've been working on it for several months.  I will have to finish the season plus two playoff games.  Then I have to type a ending chapter and a introduction chapter and then edit everything.  I'm aiming for late 2009 or early 2010 for a publishing date.  We shall see.  I forgot how much Jeff Hostetler meant to me as a player because he brought a toughness to the position that we didn't see again until Gannon took the helm.  Don't you find it interesting that most of our recent successes as Raiders since 1990 came when we had a tough quarterback, who could make plays with his feet and was a leader versus the quarterbacks that we had in 1990-1992, 1997-1998, 2005-2008.  I just find that interesting.

But to finally answer your question I will self-publish.  I will let everyone know when it is available.  It should be available via Barnes and Noble and Amazon.

how do I get a copy of this badboy when you're done - lol

Offline oklandraida84

• Hall Of Famer
how do I get a copy of this badboy when you're done - lol
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:45:38 AM by Randy »

MadRaiders#32

Things are moving along great, currently I am on game 12 which was our matchup against Buffalo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:45:53 AM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
1993 LA Raiders....."The Quarterback must go down, and go down HARD", AL DAVIS
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
Weeks One and Two of the 1993 Campaign

“The quarterback must go down, and go down hard.” Al Davis

The Minnesota Vikings and the Los Angeles Raiders couldn’t have asked for a better opening day on September 5, 1993.  The southern California sun shined brightly due no doubt to the lack of cloud cover and the light breeze that pelted the 68,000 spectators that filled the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.   The temperature was measured at 88 degrees by gametime but with hundreds of collisions occurring on the field the field temperature would rise even higher.  For the Raiders starting running back Nick Bell was inactive with a injury which opened the door for Greg Robinson to become the starter.  Jeff Jeager placed the ball on the tee as an overwhelming crescendo of cheers rained down upon him.  Raider fans and their players were ready to see the inauguration of the 1993 Raider season.  Jaeger took several steps back, checked to see that the kickoff team was ready and raised his hand to signal the referees that he was about to boot the ball.  A few seconds after the whistle blew Jaeger ran forward and he kicked the ball as the men flanking his right and left rushed forward to cover the play.  The Minnesota Vikings didn't know it yet but they were about to meet their destruction at the hands of the Los Angeles Raiders.

The ending of this opening day play was the epitome of what was to be the thirty-third season in Raiders history because like so many times during this season the ball was bouncing the Raiders way.  Robert Smith failed to field the ball and he let it bounce possibly thinking that it was going to go out of bounds.  The ball stayed within the field of play and rookie Patrick Bates pounced on the ball and the resulting recover gave Los Angeles the ball on the Vikings 18-yard line.  Hostetler and the Raiders offense jogged out onto the field to take their first possession of the new football year.  Dan Mosebar snapped the ball to Hostetler and the former Giants quarterback faked the handoff to rookie running back Greg Robinson and rolled towards the right sideline.  The intent was to hit Steve Smith in the flat but Hostetler noticed too many white shirts near his fullback and he took off running.  After a four yard run by the Raiders new quarterback, Los Angeles set up on Minnesota’s 14 yard line.

The next play resulted in a three yard loss but the next play provided Tim Brown to show that he had finally arrived as a pro receiver.  On 3rd and nine, Hostetler dropped into a perfect pass pocket and fired a 17 yard touchdown pass to Tim Brown at the goalline.  On the play Brown was in the slot to Hostetlers left and ran a perfect inward pattern that got him in front of a Vikings defender who had arrived too late to break up the play.  The pass was a perfect spiral that split the “81” on Brown’s jersey and the former Notre Dame star gave Los Angeles a 6-0 advantage.  Jeagers point after try was perfect and the Raiders established a lead that they would not relinquish.

Mike Rinehart aka MadRaiders #32
9/15/08

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Recreating 1993 Raiders team on Madden game...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
Besides creating this book on the '93 Raiders I have decided to also include a appendix to the book which will allow the reader to recreate the team on the Madden Console.  Obviously these would be unoffical ratings based on the characteristics of the team such as height, weight and abilities.  tomorrow I will watch Game #7 (Chargers) and begin the process of producing that section of the book.  I will also tweek with the Madden stuff and your suggestions would be greatly appreciated too!  Here are Hostetlers ratings with his actual height, weight and appearance taken into consideration.

Overall 91
Speed 61
Strength 68
Awareness 96
Agility 70
Accel 67
Catching 10
Carrying 53
Jumping 59
Break Tack 51
Tackle 20
Throw Power 90
Throw Acc 87
Pass blk 5
Run blk 7
Kick power 5
Kick Acc 5
Kick Return 0
Stamina 79
Injury 75
Toughness 87

Any opinions on Hostetlers ratings?

7/6/08

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Research On 1993 LA Raiders: Monday Night Game at Denver...
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
Just finished watching the Monday Night game at Denver.  Jeff Jeager kicked a last minute field goal to break a 20-20 tie after Los Angeles failed to hang on to a 13-3 halftime lead.  The Raiders did a great job keeping Elway contained and they never, ever pressured him like they did on that night.  They sacked him 6+ times and pressured him on nearly every play.  Townsend, Long, Harrison, McGlockton and Anthony Smith were all over him.  It was a great win.  I miss when we used to dominate Denver.

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Rare photos of a 1993 game between the Bengals and Raiders on Nov. 28, 1993
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
Rare photos of a 1993 game between the Bengals and Raiders on Nov. 28, 1993

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Re: MadRaiders #32 Needs Help For Research On 1993 LA Raiders
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
Actor Patrick Waterbaun who played David Puddy on Seinfeld and has starred on other shows like Family Guy had the following thing to say about the Chiefs/Raiders rivalry.

"Denver, Minnesota, I always liked Kansas City. I guess my favorite games ever to watch were Monday night games, when Kansas City would play the Raiders, and Marcus Allen would have a great running game against the Raiders. The only reason I never liked the Raiders is: Because I don't like Al Davis. I don't know really anybody who does.

Those are the kind of games I don't see right now, with that kind of stuff boiling underneath the surface -- Marcus Allen just rubbing that crap in Al Davis' nose. That to me, that's football. That's great. Here's some real personalities, here's some real talent, here's some real people that don't like each other."

5/21/08

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
1993 Raiders Book research: "Raiders Land Hostetler for 3 yrs, $8 Million..."
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
March 25, 1993

PRO FOOTBALL; Raiders Land Hostetler For 3 Years, $8 Million
By FRANK LITSKY

A month ago, the Giants discarded Jeff Hostetler, a quarterback who won a Super Bowl for them in January 1991. Yesterday, Hostetler found a new job with the Los Angles Raiders.

Marvin Demoff of Los Angeles, Hostetler's agent, said by telephone last night that Hostetler had agreed to a three-year contract and would fly to Los Angeles this morning to sign it. The contract was reported to be worth $8 million over three years. Last year, Hostetler's salary was $1.6 million.

Demoff also represents Jay Schroeder, who had been starting most of the time in his five seasons with the Raiders. He said Schroeder, like Hostetler an unrestricted free agent, would sign with another team. He said three teams were interested. 'I Felt Electricity'

Hostetler, speaking from his home in Morgantown, W. Va., said he was "happy, real happy."

"When I visited the Raiders," he said, "the chemistry was there. I threw for Al Davis, and he was happy. When I left them, I felt electricity going around. My sons want to go out and see the nice weather and the ocean."

Demoff said he negotiated with the Raiders last Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

"By then," he said, "they had committed to him and he to them. We had just one or two minor details to finish, and we did them with Al Davis and Steve Ortmayer."

Davis is the managing general partner and Ortmayer a personnel executive. They are in Palm Desert, Calif., for the National Football League meetings. Demoff joined them there and concluded the contract. Not Necessarily the Starter

Art Shell, the Raiders' coach, would not say outright that Hostetler would be his starter.

"That's down the road right now," Shell told The Associated Press. "He has to learn our system."

But the 31-year-old Hostetler has spent most of his nine pro seasons as a Giants backup, and he had told Demoff he did not want to sign with a team unless he was assured of starting. Demoff had no doubt what would happen with the Raiders.

"It's fairly clear the starting job is his to lose," Demoff said. "He's as confident of being the starter as Phil Simms is of starting for the Giants."

Barring injury, Simms will certainly be the Giants' starter because their only other quarterbacks are Dave Brown and Kent Graham, both rookies last year. For the two seasons since Hostetler's Super Bowl victory, he usually started, but the job bounced between him and Simms. Coach Ray Handley's indecisiveness over which should start contributed to his dismissal after two seasons. Injured Last Season

Last year, Hostetler was the designated starter, but when he injured his passing elbow in preseason, Simms took over. When Hostetler was ready to return after the first two games of the regular season, Handley stayed with Simms, saying he wanted continuity. In the fifth game of the season, Simms injured his passing elbow, underwent arthroscopic surgery and did not play again.

This year, Hostetler and Simms were unrestricted free agents, free to sign with any team. When Dan Reeves, the Giants' new head coach, chose Simms as his starter, Simms signed a two-year, $5,050,000 contract. Because Reeves felt that the two quarterbacks could not co-exist professionally, he advised Hostetler to find another team.

"I could see what was coming," Hostetler said, "even though I didn't think it was a fair decision. I didn't necessarily agree with it, but I made the best of my situation.

"Dan said he had no good reason for picking Phil over me. Those were his exact words. I didn't feel bad because it was beyond my control. I knew there would be teams that wanted me, and I was lucky enough that the team that I wanted also wanted me."

Hostetler first visited the Minnesota Vikings, who decided yesterday to sign another free-agent quartereback, Jim McMahon of the Philadelphia Eagles. Hostetler then visited the Raiders. Last year, the Raiders sputtered to a 7-9 record. They moved from one quarterback to another, using the often-erratic Schroeder, the young and unsophisticated Todd Marinovich and even the well-traveled Vince Evans.

4/19/08

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Re: MadRaiders #32 Book On 1993 LA Raiders
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
Yes I am interested in selling the book.  I will self-publish it.

I will begin the Chiefs game today.  It is game four and I am a little behind.  If you recall Hostetler was injuried and had to sit the game out.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:56:45 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »
from Juan Jorge, 4/8/08

You're planning on selling the book when you're done, right? Or I'm lost. All I know is you're making a book on the 1993 Raiders, and if it goes on sale it's definently something I'd be interested in!

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Research On 1993 LA Raiders: Game 3 loss to the Browns...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »
4/1/08

Just finished Game 3 and the loss to the Browns.  Metcalf was held in check all day until Cleveland's final two drives.  I can remember watching that game and other than the Tuck Game I cannot recall having more shock.  However, what I didn't realize is that during the second half the Raiders only got one first down via penalty.  Other than that there were no first downs....none and the only reason that they got a field goal to make it 16-3 was a long interception return by James Trapp.  The Browns had over eight penalities and four turnovers and Metcalf was held to negative yards on the ground but the Raiders lost!

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
3/27/08

Writing this book has given me nightmares.  So many nailbitters. I just watched Game 2 which was a battle in the Kingdome against Seattle.  Los Angeles won 17-13 but the Raiders did not score in the second half.  Remember Chris Warren??  This game reminded me about him and how much he used to kill us.

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
1993 LA Raiders: Flashback from the NY Times...
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
3/10/08

How about a flashback:

From the NY Times

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- It was, as Coach Art Shell said beforehand, a game that Los Angeles had to win. And win they did, in style.

Eric Dickerson finally performed the way the Raiders expected when they acquired him from Indianapolis last April, and Jay Schroeder threw three touchdown passes as the Raiders (5-6) overpowered Denver (7-4), which  was playing without quarterback John Elway. Elway, out with a bruised right shoulder, spent the day on the sideline in uniform.

The decision meant the top four teams in the A.F.C. West are within two games of each other with five remaining. Had the Raiders lost, they would have trailed the Broncos by four games.

Dickerson, the N.F.L.'s second-leading career rusher behind Walter Payton, had his best day as a Raider, gaining 107 yards on 16 carries. Dickerson gained 99 yards on 13 carries in the first half.

It was the 63d time Dickerson has surpassed the 100-yard mark as a pro, ranking him second all-time behind Payton's 77. Dickerson's previous high this season was 69 yards during a 27-7 loss at Kansas City on Sept. 28.

Elway's absence meant the first N.F.L. start for 21-year-old Tommy Maddox, who earlier this season became the youngest quarterback to throw a pass in the N.F.L. since 1946. Maddox completed 18 of 26 passes for  207 yards and was intercepted twice.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:50:18 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Does anybody have the 1993 Media Guide for the LA Raiders???
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
3/8/08

Does anybody have the 1993 Media Guide for the LA Raiders??? Please contact me if you do ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is a short article that I have concerning the Week Two matchup versus the Seattle Seahawks. (during the 1993 season)  If memory serves and I am still researching stuff this games was a Sunday night matchup on TNT which was one of Ted Turners channels.  They used to carry Sunday Night Games

LA Raiders 17 Seattle 13

"Jeff Hostetler who moved from the East Coast to the West Coast to find a new opportunity passed for a touchdown and ran for another as the Los Angeles Raiders beat the Seattle Seahawks 17-13.
With their seventh consecutive victory against the Seahawks, the Raiders made it a 2-0 start with Hostetler as their starting quarterback this year."

Key numbers of this game

The Raider defense picked off two Rick Mirer passes.  The final interception was Mirers last pass of the evening.  This pass was picked off by the Raidersd 1993 first round draft pick......his name was Patrick Bates.

Hostetler threw for 195 yards and was 18 of 33 passing

Tim Brown caught nine passes for 97 yards including a 33 yard touchdown reception before halftime.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:48:04 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Re: 1993 Raiders......Jeff Jaeger
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »
from MadRaiders#32 -- 3/6/08

"Jeff Jeager placed the ball on the tee as an overwhelming creshendo of cheers rained down upon him.  Over 50,000 Raider fans were on hand to see the inugaration of the 1993 Raider season.  Jaeger took several steps back, checked to see that the kickoff team was ready and raised his hand to signel the referees that he was about to boot the ball.  A few seconds after the whistle blew Jaeger ran foward and he kicked the ball as the men flanking his right and left rushed foward to cover the play.  The Minnesota Vikings didn't know it yet but they were about to meet their destruction at the hands of the Los Angeles Raiders.

The ending of this opening day play was the epitome of what was to be the thirty-third season in Raiders history because like so many times during this season the ball was bouncing the Raiders way.

Obviously writing about the season itself is easier than the preseason or the post season.  This book is going to be a lot of fun and yes I have to edit the above paragraph 1,000 times for grammer, spelling and so forth.  However, what do you guys think of this brief paragraph?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:46:46 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Research On 1993 LA Raiders is progressing...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »
from MadRaiders#32 -- 3/3/08

The research is progressing.  I got a lot of sources and what is really cool about everything is that reliving this season has really renewed my hope for the future.  It was a great team.  If anybody can help or contribute please contact me.  Newpapers, magazines, whatever you have in your collections.  Please look around your homes.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:47:44 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
from MadRaiders#32 -- 3/1/08:

Please if anyone can help, please let me know.  I really need news articles from the LA or Oakland area and it is impossible for me to get out there.  I'd really like to do this project but I need you help.  If anyone is willing please contact me.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:03:35 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
from MadRaiders#32 (transferred from Old Forum) originally dated 2/23/08

Raider fans,

I am researching the 1993 Los Angeles Raiders.
  I am looking for any information that you may have on the team that isn't online.  Articles, photos, DVD or VHS copies of games, ticket stubs, and so forth.  It was Jeff Hostetlers first season and what I believe to be Tim Browns breakout season as a Raider.  It was Howie Long's final season in black and silver.

My goal is to write a book focused on the 1993 season which I believe to be a key moment in Raiders history.  Sure we remember the teams of the early 80's, late 60's and the teams in the 1970's.  We also harkend back to the Gruden years and the 2002 season.  All those are great but I want to create a book for the Raiders fans by a Raiders fan.  I have some great ideas but I need more information.  Any help that you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

madnessmike@yahoo.com
Toledo, Ohio

P.S. the LATIMES.com charges for articles and I cannot afford the fees.  I just wanted to throw that out there in case anybody suggested that I use that service.  They are an obvious source and I plan on tapping it unless someone out there has old articles from the paper that they would be willing to share.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:06:44 PM by Randy »