Author Topic: Week 17: Broncos @ Raiders - Sunday 12/29/13 - 1:25pm Pacific  (Read 420 times)

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• Fantasy Football Commissioner
  • The Autumn Wind
Re: Week 17: Broncos @ Raiders - Sunday 12/29/13 - 1:25pm Pacific
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
We get a pretty good viewing of the college football games in Australia.

We don't get all of them but we get the ESPN/ABC games. I've seen enough of Johnny Manziel to know he has been playing with the best left tackle in football & the 2nd best wide receiver in all of game. The hype is there but the credit to Mike Evans/Jake Matthews isn't because it's all about Johnny Football.

Offline Essex Raider

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
I hear what you're saying I'm just not sure that we were ever legitimately competitive.  I think we caused a lot of confusion and had a lot of gadget plays in the first half of the season, plus other teams hadn't really seen enough of Pryor to scheme against him.  But once we got to the half way point all our cards were on the table and other teams had no problems countering everything we had.

Once that happened I don't think we had a team with a skill set high enough to make any further, significant adjustments and from that point on we were exposed.

It's not like Allen is the first coach to be in charge of this team when it all goes to shit at the end of a season.  Look at 2011, 7 & 4 after week 12 and then total disaster. A lot of people went crazy when Jackson was let go and yet he managed to orchestrate a complete melt down and a draft situation that it has taken two years to recover from.

As far as the draft is concerned you are now totally out of my wheelhouse.  Being in the UK I have no exposure to College or High School ball, so I have no idea who is coming up in the draft let alone who is good and who isn't.  I do agree that we should be drafting for what we need and not just for the sake of Best Available.  I'm not sure that Mark Davis should have too much input on draft decisions, as someone who confessed that he didn't really know football do we really want him picking players?  I realise that McKenzie hasn't shown himself to be a Draft Guru, but then, as I said, I am so far out of the loop on this issue that I couldn't make an informed choice either.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the Oakland Raiders, one nation under a crazy man, with commitment and excellence for all!

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• The Autumn Wind
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
I don't disagree that Pryor has earned another shot to compete but I think it's a very long shot.  The whole "We're going with this guy because he gives us the best chance to win" is basically code for "we're fucked anyway we go but with this guy we're slightly less fucked".

We need a foundation to rebuild this team on, and at this point I'm not sure who that is. If McKenze and Allen have a 3 year plan, then let's wait and see if that pans out.  I don't think we've seen the best of Allen yet because I don't think we have a team yet.

Has he made some bonehead choices? Absolutely.  But is that because he doesn't know any better or is that because those were the only choices available? When all you have is lemons you make lemonade.  I know this lemonade tastes like piss but is that because the guy making it is a cretin or is it because we have some shitty ass lemons?

All I know for sure is that we have spent 10 years trying the "we lost again, let's fire the coach" philosophy, isn't it about time we tried something else?

For the last two years we've heard all the Salary Cap Hell/No Draft Picks excuses under the sun, next year they don't have those excuses so now they have to put up or shut up.  This time next year, if nothing has changed then fire them both. 

I've bought my tickets for Wembley and I'm expecting a show.  So if the Fins don't go home with their blowholes stuffed with turf and the scoreboard up their ass you can leave McKenze and Allen here and we'll bury them under a Motorway.

Between now and then, have faith.

See that's what is disappointing that the raiders held onto Dennis Allen based on a philosophy (Can't fire coaches every year.. btw it's been 2) when they should of fired him on production. (having competitive teams at the midway point only to choke both times down the stretch)

It's for that reason I believe Mark Davis could walk into a room & have the right to tell Dennis Allen he doesn't know shit when it comes to the offense. I just hope Reggie McKenzie makes the draft picks with input from 1st Mark Davis (long term opinion) & then 2ndly (Dennis Allen: The guru who chokes, short term needs)

I will lose my shit if we take Johny Manziel.. let someone else take him where we need Best Player Available & I have 5 other names ahead of his. (Bridgewater, Matthews, Clowney, Watkins & Bortles/Carr) IMO

Offline Essex Raider

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
I don't disagree that Pryor has earned another shot to compete but I think it's a very long shot.  The whole "We're going with this guy because he gives us the best chance to win" is basically code for "we're fucked anyway we go but with this guy we're slightly less fucked".

We need a foundation to rebuild this team on, and at this point I'm not sure who that is. If McKenze and Allen have a 3 year plan, then let's wait and see if that pans out.  I don't think we've seen the best of Allen yet because I don't think we have a team yet.

Has he made some bonehead choices? Absolutely.  But is that because he doesn't know any better or is that because those were the only choices available? When all you have is lemons you make lemonade.  I know this lemonade tastes like piss but is that because the guy making it is a cretin or is it because we have some shitty ass lemons?

All I know for sure is that we have spent 10 years trying the "we lost again, let's fire the coach" philosophy, isn't it about time we tried something else?

For the last two years we've heard all the Salary Cap Hell/No Draft Picks excuses under the sun, next year they don't have those excuses so now they have to put up or shut up.  This time next year, if nothing has changed then fire them both. 

I've bought my tickets for Wembley and I'm expecting a show.  So if the Fins don't go home with their blowholes stuffed with turf and the scoreboard up their ass you can leave McKenze and Allen here and we'll bury them under a Motorway.

Between now and then, have faith.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:24:37 AM by Essex Raider »
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the Oakland Raiders, one nation under a crazy man, with commitment and excellence for all!

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• The Autumn Wind
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 05:46:11 AM »
Sorry, I don't agree about Pryor or Vick.  Almost every pass Pryor threw against the Broncos was short. Pocket passer is not his natural game, he's a runner first and a passer second.  That just makes our offence 1 dimensional and once opponents take away his ability to run they are prepared to play the odds that any passes he attempts are going to be incomplete.

He spends an awful lot of time running backwards from the line of scrimmage costing us yards and seems almost pig-headed when it comes to giving up on a play and throwing the ball away.  He's has what, 2 training camps and 1 regular season and he looks worse now than when he started in September.  I know everyone wants Pryor to be the guy because he was Al's last pick but realistically this guy is a bust.  I'd be interested to see Pryor moved from the QB spot to an RB spot and let's really see what he can do with those legs.

As for Michael Vick we need to be looking for the next new solid QB not another has-been who has had limited success.  Vick is ranked 84th amongst playoff starting QBs with a 2 & 3 record and that's not someone to rebuild a team around.  While his regular season career record of 58-48-1 is a winning record his best years are behind him, he hasn't played a full season since 2006 and only played 7 games this year and 10 games last year.

I don't think McGloin is the answer either but, in the absence of anyone better, I'd rather try to move forward with McGloin than I would with Pryor and I don't want to see Vick anywhere near Oaktown.

Raiders have never developed a QB in their history.

I'm not going to fault Pryor for that because it's just fact. whether it's Russell, Maravich or Andrew Walter we just draft bums.

If you say Pryor doesn't have it after 8 starts & a doghouse decision by Dennis which flushed the Raiders chance at competing this year then that's your right. I just believe if we are going to give this pathetic coach another season to show us what he has got then Pryor has earned the right to come back & compete for the starting job. 

Offline Essex Raider

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:53:07 AM »
Sorry, I don't agree about Pryor or Vick.  Almost every pass Pryor threw against the Broncos was short. Pocket passer is not his natural game, he's a runner first and a passer second.  That just makes our offence 1 dimensional and once opponents take away his ability to run they are prepared to play the odds that any passes he attempts are going to be incomplete.

He spends an awful lot of time running backwards from the line of scrimmage costing us yards and seems almost pig-headed when it comes to giving up on a play and throwing the ball away.  He's has what, 2 training camps and 1 regular season and he looks worse now than when he started in September.  I know everyone wants Pryor to be the guy because he was Al's last pick but realistically this guy is a bust.  I'd be interested to see Pryor moved from the QB spot to an RB spot and let's really see what he can do with those legs.

As for Michael Vick we need to be looking for the next new solid QB not another has-been who has had limited success.  Vick is ranked 84th amongst playoff starting QBs with a 2 & 3 record and that's not someone to rebuild a team around.  While his regular season career record of 58-48-1 is a winning record his best years are behind him, he hasn't played a full season since 2006 and only played 7 games this year and 10 games last year.

I don't think McGloin is the answer either but, in the absence of anyone better, I'd rather try to move forward with McGloin than I would with Pryor and I don't want to see Vick anywhere near Oaktown.

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• The Autumn Wind
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 06:15:58 PM »
Terrelle Pryor could be the guy but this coaching staff is horrible.

I reckon there is a correlation between Seabass awful year kicking and the head coach. (also that he resigned long term)

Terrelle Pryor was a justified starter until the Giants game when he was injured. DA was a idiot for not pulling McGloin sooner enough when it was blowout after blowout. He should of gone back to Pryor after Dallas game or NYJ at the very least.

Rumour has it we will be chasing Michael Vick to mentor Terrelle Pryor.. I can get onboard with that. Vick is a winner when not injured (& I would happily take Pryor as a backup on the weeks Vick isn't ready to go)

Offline Essex Raider

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »
I agree, this was a really bad end to another really bad season and more evidence that Pryor isn't the guy for us.  I don't agree about Allen though, I still think wee need to see this rebuild through to completion and let him finish his 3rd year, especially as year 1 was a total washout with the whole Greg Knapp thing.

Offline Matty Raider

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »
What a ball of shit of this game was.  Turned it off at the half.  Garbage performance.  What an embarrassment.  Orange donkey douche all up in the Coliseum too.  DA needs to get the axe today!  Oh yeah, he can take Pryor with him.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:14:34 PM by Matty Raider »
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Live Online Chat during final game vs Denver Broncos - 1pm Pacific
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
Raiders Live Online Chat - Sunday 1pm Pacific at Raiders/Broncos Kickoff
Steve Corkran, BayAreaNewsGroup

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_24801808/live-chat-oakland-raiders-vs-denver-broncos-sunday

Offline NCRaider

• Hall Of Famer
  • 2013 RNP Fantasy League Bridesmaid
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
Hope to see some of you Sunday.

Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raiders
Sunday 12/29/13
1:25pm Pacific - 4:25pm Eastern
CBS

Offline Randy

• Administrator