Author Topic: R.I.P. Raider Nation members, friends, and family  (Read 25001 times)

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast

Offline NEBRASKARAIDER

• "RAIDER NATION IS UNIVERSAL"
Re: JACK TATUM RAIDER LEGEND
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
I was not around in the days when Football was considered an all contact sport, when you didn't see yellow hit the ground from almost ripping a Quaterbacks head off or close lining a man just to have the edge on him. But I have to say those are the days when football was in its prime & Jack Tatum fit perfectly in with the Raider mystique of hard hitting, make you fear the hell out of us, because on Sunday there's a high probability that you wont be getting off the field in one piece. My favorite Raider hit ever was when Tatum separated Vikings WR Sammy White from his helmet stood up & threw his hands down at him in Super Bowl XI.

JACK TATUM, CLASSIC RAIDER FOOTBALL FOREVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gARi1MIyPRc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuP0Cldbn10&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:52:00 AM by NEBRASKARAIDER »
"I Will Strike Down Upon Thee With Great Vengeance & Furious Anger Those Who Attempt To Destroy My Brothers & Sisters ...... & You Will Know I Am A RAIDER When I Lay My Vengeance Upon Thee."

Offline Raider Greg

• Your Host
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Re: Rest In Peace
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
All I can say is........Rest in peace Brutha.......You are and will always be an inspiration to ALL the Raider Nation. There are Still thousands of #32 Jerseys at the Coliseum along with My own that proves your memory will never fade from our Nation. Your style of play is one that has yet to be equaled from those golden years. 36 years ago.......Now that's a Fuckin Legend! Bless you and your family at this very hard time and know that the entire Raider Nation is saddened by this Loss.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:52:40 AM by Randy »

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• Fantasy Football Commissioner
  • The Autumn Wind
R.I.P Tatum
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »
If moustaches are synominus with the early dayS of this football team. As can be linked to the line of the Autumn wind. 'with a bristly black moustache'

i think Tatum holds so many other traits of that poem. When i hear the line of 'knock them upside down and laugh when they conquered and won' u don't think of Ray Guy on that line. U think of the hard hitting Tatum.

I think it's safe to say that within the last 2 years the raiders have lost their best guard and best safety to heart attacks. It's a real shame his loss! My thoughts are with his friends, family and fans- may u rest in peace Assassin.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:53:33 AM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
I'll never forget standing next to Jack Tatum at Ricky's last November...
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
The passing of Jack Tatum....what a shock! I was standing right next to him in Ricky's just last November...

I'll never forget it. Crusader Raider and Dave Chapman were in town from England for their annual Raiders pilgrimage. We were riding their coat-tails as usual......when Ricky and his wife Tina heard that Keith and Dave would be coming to Ricky's for the Raiders Rally the night before the game, they made us all V.I.P.s. We arrived about an hour before the Raiders Rally was scheduled to start, and when we walked into Ricky's....they still had another event in progress....the Manny Pacquiao vs Miguel Cotto fight on pay-per-view. We walked in right at the height of the fight, they put VIP bracelets on each of our wrists, and we were ushered into the "VIP Room" in the back of Ricky's where the fight was on a big screen. Several Raiders and ex-Raiders were in the room.

After the fight was over, and the Raiders Rally began, we were having a good time, listening to Raiderhed perform. I was standing by the bar ordering a beer, and I looked over and saw Jack Tatum sitting at a table right next to me....about 6 feet away. He was talking to a young black guy in his early 20's probably. I missed the beginning of their conversation, but when I started listening....Jack was explaining something to him....saying something about hitting players hard, as he demonstrated with his hands how he would hit. The young guy looked at him, and it was like a lightbulb went on in his head, as the realization hit him as to who he was talking to. His eyes got big, and he asked...."THAT WAS YOU?"  Jack smiled, looked back at him, slowly nodded his head up and down.... and answered, "yep......that was me", as his head kept nodding, and he kept smiling.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:30:41 PM by Randy »

Offline HELLRAIDER

• Hall Of Famer
Re: Rest In Peace
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »
RIP to the ASSASSIN  JACK TATUM    1948-2010         gone at the age of 61      You will be missed.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:45:03 PM by Randy »

Offline Raider Bob from Knoxville

• Rookie Member
  • Raider since 1975
Tatum Photos
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
From the Raider website

Raider Bob from Knoxville

Offline houston raider

• Hall Of Famer
RIP...Jack Tatum
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
     Hello Raider nation,
First let me say that i am deeply saddened that Jack Tatum has passed today(as all in raider nation have).My dad was a ohio state fan(alum) so i became a fan and grew up hearing about jack-even saw him play against the Illini in 1969.Jack was the Ronnie Lott of his day.I would say that Jack was probably one of the BEST safeties the Raiders have ever had(on a short list).Jack was a HUGE reason why i became a Raiders fan.He would literally knock the snot out of you.Who can forget the hit he put on sammy white in super bowl xi(knocking his helmet off).jack's position coach at ohio state was the legendary Lou Holtz.May you rest in peace jack...My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this time.

Offline houston raider

• Hall Of Famer
RIP Jack Tatum
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
               hello Raider nation,
I just saw the AP wire story that today(tuesday july 27th,2010) that jack tatum passed away from a heart attack in a Oakland Hospital.I was a BIG fan of jack's since his college days at Ohio State.He was probably one of the GREATEST Raiders  of All time(at least on a very short list).I originally became a raider fan(in Huge part) because jack was on the team.Our thoughts and prayers are with jack's family at this time.R.I.P Jack tatum! God Bless!!jack's position coach at ohio state was the legendary Lou Holtz.Jack tatum was 61 years old.He left us WAY to Soon!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:04:46 PM by houston raider »

Raider Jake

RIP...Jack Tatum
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
He was a baller, in the truest meaning of the word.....  really would have loved to see him play back int the day  RIP JacK!

Offline RAIDERNITEMARE

• Rookie Member
  • PRIDE AND POISE!
RIP...Jack Tatum
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »
Wow... another great one gone, "The Assassin" Jack Tatum... intimidating, fierce, hard knox gangsta style, played the game the way it should be, he's the image of a Raider. Lots of good hardhittin memories... One of my all time Raider favorites...R.I.P Mr. Tatum...my brother.... :( :( :'( :'(
Heaven doesn't want me..... and Hell is afraid I might take over. " RAIDER FOR LIFE!"

Offline Raider Bob from Knoxville

• Rookie Member
  • Raider since 1975
RIP...Jack Tatum
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »
I'm stunned. Tatum was my hero   :'(

Raider Bob from Knoxville

Offline HELLRAIDER

• Hall Of Famer
RIP...Jack Tatum
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
I really don't know what to say...you will be missed and are one of the reasons I became a Raider fan...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/27/jack-tatum-dies-of-heart-attack/

A truly sad event and day in the life of the RAIDERS!  My thoughts are with his family!

Offline Raider Rodney

• Hall Of Famer
  • Just Win Baby!
R.I.P. Raider Nation members, friends, and family
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
I really don't know what to say...you will be missed and are one of the reasons I became a Raider fan...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/07/27/jack-tatum-dies-of-heart-attack/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:34:34 PM by Randy »