Author Topic: AL DAVIS press conference what did you think about it??????  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Matty Raider

• Hall Of Famer
Re: AL DAVIS press conference what did you think about it??????
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »
I absolutely agree.

It's an old school way of thinking.  No poon before the game!

It makes your legs weaker and takes off the edge you might have the following day going into kickoff.

Some fighters do it during their whole training regimen.  We're only talking the night before gameday, no?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline houston raider

• Hall Of Famer
Did you guys catch that part of the press conference when Al Davis said this?

"one of the things revealed by Miss Lutz was too much for me, and that was, I don't know if it was true, I, we're going to find out, but Tom was asked about it and refused to answer it. He brought her on trip on the road when the team was playing on the road, he's the head coach, and this is the guy who's talking about focus, we got a job to do, we got a game to play, we gotta win…….and there……flying in friends (long pause)......so they could be with him the night before the game. All this stuff goes a long way against my wishes, against my way of living, against my life, and against the Raider way…..and I just wasn't gonna take it anymore."

The newspapers today referred to this as a "rule" that the Raiders have, but it was unclear whether this is a contractual rule or what.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think this is a league-wide practice? No female companionship the night before the game on the road? I guess the teams are always in hotels, with no family in their rooms...so I guess it must be standard practice. Do you think this should be "against the Raider way?" I'll bet Ken Stabler and some of those guys known for bending the rules and playing things a little loose before big games may have gone contrary to this "Raider Way" a time or two. You know Joe Namath did! Opinions?

That one rule probably kept HellRaider out of pro football!

Ahhhhhhh, Al is just jealous at his age he is just happy if a woman is in the room-hey i can relate to that comment-lmao  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:49:18 PM by Randy »

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• Fantasy Football Commissioner
  • The Autumn Wind
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
It's easy to turn a blind eye when the team's winning, keep drinking and partying is what i say.

But when you're a team that's 5-11 being embarrassed by bad teams then whether it's Jamarcus Russell or Nnamdi Asomugha, they should all be in bed by a certain time.

Al Davis probably also has a duty of care with Tom Cable. Once a Woman basher, always a woman basher. What happens if Tom Cable is snorting a few lines, knocking back a few Jack Daniels and decides to go buckwild on Miss Lutz and put her head through a window?... Al Davis would get sued knowing Tom's history.

I think Kenny Stabler had a clause in his contract that if he won on Sunday he'd get to bang some Raiderettes on Monday!!! I certainly would bust a nut for one of those Felines.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:36:10 AM by Randy »

Offline HELLRAIDER

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
cant wait to hear the podcast show after this little gem of a dirty laundering press conference! :D

Offline Raider Bob from Knoxville

• Rookie Member
  • Raider since 1975
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
Marcus Allen was fucking one of Al Davis's stashes.  That is what happened to him
I never ruled that out, for sure.

Raider Bob from Knoxville

Offline Millernation

• millernation
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
Marcus Allen was fucking one of Al Davis's stashes.  That is what happened to him

Offline Raider Bob from Knoxville

• Rookie Member
  • Raider since 1975

"one of the things revealed by Miss Lutz was too much for me, and that was, I don't know if it was true, I, we're going to find out, but Tom was asked about it and refused to answer it. He brought her on trip on the road when the team was playing on the road, he's the head coach, and this is the guy who's talking about focus, we got a job to do, we got a game to play, we gotta win…….and there……flying in friends (long pause)......so they could be with him the night before the game. All this stuff goes a long way against my wishes, against my way of living, against my life, and against the Raider way…..and I just wasn't gonna take it anymore."

The newspapers today referred to this as a "rule" that the Raiders have, but it was unclear whether this is a contractual rule or what.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think this is a league-wide practice? No female companionship the night before the game on the road? I guess the teams are always in hotels, with no family in their rooms...so I guess it must be standard practice. Do you think this should be "against the Raider way?" I'll bet Ken Stabler and some of those guys known for bending the rules and playing things a little loose before big games may have gone contrary to this "Raider Way" a time or two. You know Joe Namath did! Opinions?

That one rule probably kept HellRaider out of pro football!  :D

If you're making that kind of money $$ you do whatever the fucking contract or rule book says....no nookie on Saturday night, no problem. Especially if Al Davis is your boss.
 Unless you're Stabler who probably(assuredly) didn't make what the current league minimum is for veterans. And who knows, that might be one reason why he ended up in an Oilers uniform..........or why Marcus Allen was treated poorly. Maybe he was a lying, cheating, womanizing, cross-dressing cannibal....Al certainly had something against him. That still burns my ass 20+ yrs later.
 I still say for that kind of bread you do whatever the fuck is in the book and make your money playing/coaching as long as you can. I mean these guys make a lot of money.

Raider Bob from Knoxville

Offline Millernation

• millernation
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »
I remember before the raiders superbowl game in New Orleans against the eagles how the eagles were in bed by 10:00pm but the raiders were seen on Bourbon Street at 2:00am (that was before drug testing)?

All football coaches and boxing managers don't want their players/fighters to get any before a game/match.  You want your players in a bad mood, anxious, irritable, on edge.  Not getting any will do that to a man.

I remember spending the day with my girlfriend then going to practice and having weak legs, couldn't jump, nor catch a pass to save my life.  But a few years latter having sex with a girl in the park before practice and tearing it up.  The next year having activity with my girlfriend before the first three games of that season and scoring in each of those game.  So it depends on the player and their maturity.  

So if the players aren't allowed to do it, then the coaches aren't allowed to do it either.  Especially in the NFL where coach work most of the day and night during the season.  Cable should have been game planning instead of running game

Look at Belichick.   You can tell he hasn't had any since becoming the patriots coach

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:32:08 PM by Randy »

Offline HELLRAIDER

• Hall Of Famer

It would be tough............I would miss the implants too much................ :D

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Raiders "rule": No female companionship the night before a road game....agree?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:06:05 PM by Randy »

Offline Millernation

• millernation
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
I'm guessing Al has DirectTv or Dish Network because he sure hates cable  :D.  Al apparently didn't appreciate Cable cavorting with his ho before road games.  Al looks like that classic old man movie mobster who won't die or turn over the operation to the youngins.  He also looked like Edward Scissorhands. 

So it turns out not only was Cable a less then stellar head coach.  But he is also a dirtbag

Offline Matty Raider

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
I thought the press conference was excellent.  A lot of time digging for "Raider drama" from the reporters, but hey, that's what they do.

I, for one, am really excited to have Hue as our HC.  Not to get all Millernation on you, but I felt letting Cable go was the right decision and all those who felt as if we were losing the next Chucky were severely overreacting.  

You can honestly tell that the comment Cable made about no longer being losers pissed off the Old Man.  I saw that Cable got a job in Seattle and good for him.  I am excited about the upcoming season and can't wait to see what our guys will do playing within the same offensive system.

Al gave credit to his players, some free agents, and that makes me hopeful he will re-sign those that we need the most.  

The press conference was very entertaining and I wish Coach Jackson all the best.

Thanks Randy for taking the time and posting all the clips.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:42:17 PM by Randy »
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline Raider Rodney

• Hall Of Famer
  • Just Win Baby!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Well...I'm sure you all remember me ranting and raving back when Kiffin was let go...and as it turned out seems Al was in the right (more or less) with him.  And honestly...most of our improvement this year can be attributed to Hue doing a better job on the offense and J-Busto being gone.  Those things considered (not even including Cable's off the field ordeals) I think this may be a good thing.  It will all come down to the CBA and whether we keep our key free agents and they want to be a part of this team.

And yes...Al turning to the guy and saying "you fucked that up" was hilarious :)  I know I've been pretty vocal about Al and some of the decisions over the past few years but it saddens me greatly to see how much worse he is looking.  He may piss us off and shit but Al is the fucking Raiders...and without him none of us would be a part of this great Nation....

Offline NCRaider

• Hall Of Famer
  • 2013 RNP Fantasy League Bridesmaid
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
Wow is right...Al Davis definitely stole the show...5 min introduction of Hue and then the rest was a horse and pony show. Why use the press conference to throw Cable under the bus. Oh well i guess it made for great tv....lol

Hue I hope your contract has some guarantee$$

I look forward to the next press conf in 2013

Offline RAIDERNITEMARE

• Rookie Member
  • PRIDE AND POISE!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
WOW!....did Cable kick the shit outta Al Davis before he left Oakland, he looks all banged up....So Al Davis used the slapping a hoe incidents for cause of Cable not returning I guess winning doesnt cure everything.....As for H. Jackson speech, I heard it all before many times and your Assssss will be out in about 2 yrs....what we need is to keep all these free agents to keep this team intact and we will begin where we left off hopefully ???......GO RAIDAS!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:31:06 PM by Randy »
Heaven doesn't want me..... and Hell is afraid I might take over. " RAIDER FOR LIFE!"

Raider Jake

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »
I heard Al cussed out some reporter!

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
All you need to know is that everyone gets up to leave and he turns to a black gentlemen on his left and says..........you fucked that up..................hilarious......................he is howard hughes meets the wizard of oz....................................and now I will come out of hiding from behind the green curtain after two years and discuss what is going on.......................................we are such an easy target...............all you have to do is watch 5 minutes and know why............................................. :D :D
That "black gentleman on his left" was his public relations man Mike Taylor. I heard him turn and say something to Taylor, but I didn't catch what it was. Looks like I missed the best line in the whole thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltguIiaGSU
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:39:16 PM by Randy »

Offline HELLRAIDER

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »
All you need to know is that everyone gets up to leave and he turns to a black gentlemen on his left and says..........you fucked that up..................hilarious......................he is howard hughes meets the wizard of oz....................................and now I will come out of hiding from behind the green curtain after two years and discuss what is going on.......................................we are such an easy target...............all you have to do is watch 5 minutes and know why............................................. :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltguIiaGSU
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:39:02 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
does anyone know were to find the press confrence for Hue Jackson
Videos like that take a little time to encode and put on the internet. I'm sure they'll be appearing on YouTube later tonight. Comcast SportsNet will probably have highlights, since it was carried on their network.

I just checked, and there is 4 min. 50 sec. of the video here:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:02:59 PM by Randy »

Offline raider kyle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
does anyone know were to find the press confrence for Hue Jackson

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
The press conference was basically a two-parter. Al introduced Hue Jackson, talked a little about why he didn't retain Cable, then opened it up for questions. During the question segment, he talked a little about JaMarcus Russell, and also said he would have fired Cable after the season ended even if the Raiders had made it into the playoffs. It reached a point were everyone thought the conference was over and they started to stand up....then Al said, "hold on"...or something like that....and said that he thought people wanted more answers to some things. Then he told everyone to sit back down.

The second part was more in-depth slamming of Tom Cable, and why he was docked $120,000 from his paychecks. Kind of reminiscent of the Kiffin conference without the overhead projector (Al read from papers in a folder instead). Al said he couldn't say some things due to legal reasons, but he did address some details related to the Cable woman beating accusations and the Randy Hanson thing. He said he probably would have considered firing Cable mid-season (for various reasons), but held off because the Raiders had a chance for the playoffs. He criticized Cable for flying in a woman to an away game so he could "be with her" the night before the game. He also didn't like Cable's statement on their 8-8 season when he said, "we're not losers anymore". Al said, "if 8-8 isn't a loser, I don't know what is".

Here is a chronology of the topics covered at the press conference. Start at the bottom and read up:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?entry_id=81211

It was a little weird. I'm sure it will be on YouTube and you guys can all watch it and draw your own opinions.

On Bay Area TV, after the conference was over....Ray Ratto from the SF Chronicle gave his opinion of it....he thought Al took away Hue Jackson's moment in the sun by spending the majority of the conference talking about Cable. He was critical of Al for feeling as if he needs to cover a lot of topics in his press conferences because of the fact that he doesn't make many appearances. He implied that he should be more forthcoming to the media with this information during the year, so that he doesn't have to cover so many things during an event like this that should be dedicated to the new head coach hiring.

Get ready for a bunch of articles!

Greg is working up a podcast as I type this...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:19:05 PM by Randy »

RAIDERNATIONnATE

AL DAVIS press conference what did you think about it??????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
Wow Al is getting old as hell but still kicking. All the bad things said about him, he is still A RAIDER 4 life, did great things for us FANS....i wish the best for Al Davis but it looks like he isn't going to be with us much longer, but i hope he is. Anyways the funniest thing about the press conference was when he said, "you fucked up". HAHA that was funny!! GO RAIDERS hopefully we get to the playoffs this year.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:20:54 PM by Randy »