I heard this being discussed today on 95.7 The Game. They brought out some good points.
• Crabtree not seen as a "team player" on the 49ers
• DHB is a great team player
They talked about Crabtree dropping out of the Alex Smith organized off-season sessions, saying that his foot hurt. When told that his QB commented that he didn't know what was up with him, Crabtree "threw Smith under the bus" by asking, "well, who IS our quarterback anyway?" This was one example of him not being a team player.
• Crabtree is not fast and will only get slower with age
• DHB is fast
Not much to say on this one.
• Crabtree supposedly has good hands but isn't that great at creating separation
• DHB drops some balls (has improved a lot though)....and he can separate well
The hosts of the radio show agreed that they would rather have a receiver with not the greatest hands who can separate over one with good hands but can't separate.
They discussed other things related to these two players, but I can't remember all of it. The bottom line was that maybe old Al Davis chose the right guy after all, even though he got a lot of criticism for picking DHB "too high".