Author Topic: Stadium Issues  (Read 19989 times)

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Re: Stadium Issues
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 12:28:22 AM »
Its stupid for the NFL to want to put a shared stadium with two teams that don't share the same city name and are rivals and to put it in Santa Clara?

What about the Giants and the Jets? They share a stadium that not only isn't in New York City, it isn't even in the same state! It's in East Rutherford, New Jersey!

I did notice while looking through these articles about their shared stadium.....in the first article, written before the stadium was built, they anticipated the cost being $800 Million. The third article, written as the stadium was about to open, said the cost turned out to be $1.6 Billion......double the original estimate!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/29/sports/football/29cnd-stadium.html?pagewanted=all

http://technorati.com/sports/football/article/giants-jets-open-up-new-stadium/

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/08/new_meadowlands_stadium_opens.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:47:57 AM by Randy »

Offline RAIDERNITEMARE

• Rookie Member
  • PRIDE AND POISE!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »
Its stupid for the NFL to want to put a shared stadium with two teams that dont share the same city name and are rivals and to put it in Santa Clara?...Cant wait for the Raiders to come back L.A.....Mark Davis knows wheres the money is at...L.A. homie!!!...come back home fuck the rest!... 8) 8)
Heaven doesn't want me..... and Hell is afraid I might take over. " RAIDER FOR LIFE!"

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
Randy-

As I read this I'm trying to figure out if this is hurts or improves the raiders chances of:

a) getting league approval for funding for a new Oakland stadium when presented
b) increases chances of the raiders playing in the santa Clara with the 9rs
c) worst case moving to LA (IMO)?

Curious, does anyone not living in the bay area care?

a) I think the fact that the NLF owners voted to grant the stadium money to the 49ers probably WOULD make it harder for the Raiders to get a grant of their own, since the NFL is encouraging the 49ers and Raiders to share the stadium. I'm wondering if they would also grant the Raiders an equal amount of money to go in half and half. They're granting the 49ers $200 million towards a $1 Billion stadium. If they also granted the Raiders $200 million, then they would only.....ONLY  ;D.... have to come up with another $600 Million. Actually....I'm just re-reading they articles...and it looks like this money isn't a grant...it's a loan. I don't know the terms of the loan, but I guess the whole $1 Billion will have to be paid at some point (plus interest).

b) I don't think this increases the chances of the Raiders playing in Santa Clara or decreases, since I think it was probably expected that this "loan" would be approved by the NFL owners.

c) Increase Raiders chances of moving to LA? I don't know why this would increase or decrease that likelihood.

I think that sharing a stadium seems like the only reasonable option if the Raiders want to stay in the Bay Area. I know they prefer Oakland to Santa Clara, but trying to build a new stadium on their own would be a lot tougher. I don't think people are going to accept personal seat licenses....AGAIN. They have finally sold out the Coliseum for every game of the season, but it wouldn't take long to reverse that if ticket prices go up, and especially if we don't start winning more!

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• Fantasy Football Commissioner
  • The Autumn Wind
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
Randy-

As I read this I'm trying to figure out if this is hurts or improves the raiders chances of:

Mark Davis said at Reggie McKenzie hire press conference that L.A was a possibility and that Sharing stadium at Santa Clara was a potential possibility... If you're like me and trying to read between the lines then the word 'potential' indicates 'more likely than LA'

A stadium is not getting built in Oakland (IMO). The Oakland City Council can't afford it & no private investment will flow in because the current site is in the ghetto.

I think what will happen is the Raiders will get an invitation from Jed York to be tenants of the new 49'ers stadium... But they may try & bully the Raiders out of the Bay Area by not even extending an invitation & forcing Mark Davis back to Southern California... That's my take on it & how I see it panning out.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:48:39 PM by Randy »

Offline NCRaider

• Hall Of Famer
  • 2013 RNP Fantasy League Bridesmaid
Stadium Issues
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
Randy-

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:46:16 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
"Owners approve loan for 49ers" - 2/2/12
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
Owners Approve Loan for 49ers

for the Santa Clara stadium...

"N.F.L. owners, in a brief meeting here Thursday, approved a $200 million loan for the San Francisco 49ers, who hope to soon break ground in Santa Clara, Calif., on a replacement for Candlestick Park.

The stadium, which would be across the street from the 49ers’ training facility, is likely to cost about $1 billion, and will seat about 68,000 people. The rest of the project will be funded by an $850 million construction loan that Santa Clara approved in December.

Site preparation has already begun for the stadium and it could be ready for the 2014 or 2015 season. There remains the chance that the Oakland Raiders – who are also badly in need of a new stadium – could share the stadium with the 49ers. That would solve one of the N.F.L.’s thorniest problems – all of its teams in California need new stadiums, and a new stadium will also have to be built In Los Angeles before a team moves there, but there is little support for publicly-funded stadiums in the state."

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/owners-approve-loan-for-49ers/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8268ad55/article/nfl-will-help-niners-pay-for-new-stadium-in-santa-clara

http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_19878108

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/58607/about-the-49ers-new-ownership-partner
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:18:15 PM by Randy »

Offline Tokai Raider

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:17:27 AM »
I think California University is where the kids from Beverly Hills 90210 went to college. (It was one of the few English shows on TV when I first moved to Japan.)

Where the Raiders would play for a few years while the stadium is built would be relatively easy to arrange. Candlestick, maybe, Cal, or Stanford. The bigger issue is who would pay for it and how much would tickets cost. Anyone want to pay $80,000 for the right to get season tickets on the 50 yard line at the Niners' new stadium? If you thought the last PSLs were bad, just wait for the new ones.

The Warriors are so full of shit it's unbelievable. They claim that they have the oldest arena, or the second-oldest, or something, when their arena was completely gutted and rebuilt just recently. It's not the same arena, but they whine that it is. And then the press repeats the lie. Why? Because the SF papers want the team in SF. Meanwhile, they fill the stands even though they haven't been a relevant team since Rick Barry played for them. And that was so long ago that Rick Barry's kids aren't even playing anymore. Sure there was Run DMC, but a couple years of success doesn't make you relevant. Consistent winning does. So let those fuckers leave. They have a brand-new training facility in Oakland and a new arena, but all they care about is the increased value of the team when they sell it. So fuck 'em.

The A's are moving to SJ. Sad, but true.

Can a "Coliseum City" live with only 1 sports tenant that only has 8 home games a year? The Raiders and Niners should share a stadium. It makes sense financially. And maybe with 2 teams, they could cut the cost of the PSLs so that someone other than Larry Ellison could afford them. It would be great if that stadium were in Oakland, and the Coliseum is a good spot for that. It has a freeway, BART, and Amtrak service, and it could be rebuilt so it's not so ... barren. But we need to remember that wherever these teams play, the price of tickets will be ridiculously high.

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Re: Oakland's plan for new "Coliseum City" for Raiders, A's, Warriors
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »

Coliseum City isn't happening...The Question I must raise is if the Raiders do get involved in this Coliseum City (& knock the old one down) where do they play for those 3 or 4 years it would take to build the new structure??? Could CAL University host them???

Your Bay Area knowledge is always impressive, especially considering you're "down under". One minor error in your wording though....I've never heard of the University of California referred to as "CAL University". I've heard it referred to as:

The University of California
UC Berkeley
Cal Berkeley
UC Berkeley
Berkeley

or just plain "Cal"

but not "CAL University"  ;)

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »

Coliseum City isn't happening...

If the Raiders move to Los Angeles (or elsewhere)... You won't hear anything until the 11th hour (week 16 of 2013 season) because Mark Davis & Co would be idiotic to tell of their L.A intentions and watch the Raider Nation boycott the organization in masses whilst the Raiders play out the 2012 'n' 2013 seasons of their O.Co stadium lease.

You're right about that. That's how I was able to get my first season tickets for the Raiders in 1980. They had been sold out for almost a decade and there was a long waiting list of people wanting season tickets.....until.....word got out that they were planning to move to LA......then people got mad, started giving up their season tickets, and I was able to get them for the '80 and '81 seasons.....then they did move to LA.

By the way, I was paying $170 per season for my one seat back then....$17 a game. Now I pay $151 a game. Well, I'm in the club section now....a little better than the wooden bleacher seat I had back then....but it was fun! They didn't always win though. They had their troubles back then too.

In 1981 the Raiders were SHUT OUT in three consecutive games. Games 4, 5, and 6. 16-0 at Detroit, 17-0 at home vs the Broncos, then 27-0 at KC. One of my friends, who was a 49ers fan, went to the record books and told me that the last team to have three consecutive shutouts handed to them was the New York Yankees football team. Did any of you even know there was a Yankees football team? They played in the "First" AFL in 1926, then the NFL in '27 and '28.

After those three shutouts in '81, the Raiders finally won against Tampa Bay 18-16 in game 7 to break the shutout streak. Three consecutive shutouts is an all-time record the Raiders still share with the Yankees. The Raiders finished that season 7-9.....then played in LA the following year....the strike shortened 1982 season where they finished 8-1.....then had the Superbowl year in '83.

P.S.

I looked up the New York Yankees football team's 1928 season game scores, and they actually got shut out 4 consecutive games. But the 2nd of those 4 shutouts was not a loss, it was a tie (0-0) against the Packers. Check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1928_New_York_Yankees_season_%28NFL%29

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:27:06 PM by Randy »

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• The Autumn Wind
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:27 AM »

Coliseum City isn't happening.. It's a last ditch plan by Mayor Quan to get all 3 teams to stay. Raiders are the most likely team out of the 3 sporting teams currently at the Coliseum to stay with the Athletics all but gone (announcement soon from the MLB) & The Warriors front office has made it been known that they want to eventually move to San Francisco.

If those 2 tenants do leave.. the Raiders will be free to build their own stadium in the Oakland lot...

The Question I must raise is if the Raiders do get involved in this Coliseum City (& knock the old one down) where do they play for those 3 or 4 years it would take to build the new structure??? Could CAL University host them??? I have no idea... Perhaps they could play in Santa Clara or Candlestick while we build our new digs.

I think we will find out more info about the Raiders stadium plans in this offseason (If it's in the Bay Area).. Roger Goodell is going to have to wait til Monday until the Niners get booted from the playoffs and then he can discuss the funding aspects of 2 Bay Area teams sharing the same stadium.

If the Raiders move to Los Angeles (or elsewhere)... You won't hear anything until the 11th hour (week 16 of 2013 season) because Mark Davis & Co would be idiotic to tell of their L.A intentions and watch the Raider Nation boycott the organization in masses whilst the Raiders play out the 2012 'n' 2013 seasons of their O.Co stadium lease.

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Oakland's plan for new "Coliseum City" for Raiders, A's, Warriors
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »
Did you guys see this proposal for a new "Coliseum City?
This isn't a new story, it's over a month old, but I didn't post it at the time so I'm doing it now.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/92510/archives/2011/12/09/quan-pushing-plan-for-sports-village-for-as-warriors-and-raiders
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:59:43 AM by Randy »

Offline Raider Frank

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:24:54 AM »
I know that the “O” needs a lot of work, luxury boxes, smaller stadium etc....

I can see them sharing a stadium with the 49ers.
But the prices they are going to charge their fans are outrageous.
They can almost guarantee an empty stadium or filled with a lot of corporate wannabes

Those costs that they will try to get from Raider fans, well good luck
Not the hard hat, working class types that are real Raider fans.
I know we have fans that are Lawyers and Doctors and the like
but the majority of fans are like all of us.

Stay in Oakland or find a new site in the Bay area

With one goal in mind
“Just win Baby”

Go Raiders
Raider Frank

ManchesterRaider

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 04:31:09 AM »
As an Englishman the very idea of a sporting organisation simply moving lock, stock and barrel to another area is unthinkable! I can only think of one example where a soccer team team did this, Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes a mere 63 miles away ( not that far in US terms ) and the backlash and controversey were enormous! This is because a sporting organisation over here is so much part of a communities identity that it defines you. If I go anywhere round the globe and I'm asked where Im from the mere mention of Manchester invariably leads to a response of, "Ah! Manchester United!!!", usually followed by a role call of their favourite past players! The vast majority of fans have a club or team 'bestowed upon them' due to their geographic home. For example I know lots of guys that grew up as Rochdale fans because that's where they lived and subsequently have watched lesser standard soccer than a friend who lived a few miles up the road who could claim to support a bigger club like Manchester United or Manchester City.

I say all this because it must be heartbreaking to have your club ripped from your breast and plonked down somewhere near LA with no thought being given to the fans who have supported the organisation in the most important way I.e. filling the stadium and putting ticket money in the hands of the owners.

There are many things to admire in American sport such as the draft system and the excitement of the play-offs but the 'franchise' culture is one aspect that I'm pleased to say we don't have here in the UK.

PS I hope that if the Raiders do relocate to LA then I hope the enthusiasm of Randy and Gregs to produce the podcast does not diminish as its a lifeline here in the UK as to all things Raiders and I really enjoy the show.

Keep up the good work, Raiders for life!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:50:40 AM by Randy »

Offline RAIDER MIKE

• Hall Of Famer
  • Just calling it like i see it!
Stadium Issues
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
Can't stand this topic as much as how long it's been since we won a SB! World looks more and more like its going to end in 2012 like the movie! :) hehehe

Sent from my iPhone bitch!

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:07:56 PM by Randy »

Offline Millernation

• millernation
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »
Yeah, keep the raiders in oakland, we have enough trouble with the doyers fans out here (joke)

Offline HELLRAIDER

• Hall Of Famer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
I decided to create a new topic within the Raiders Talk board, entitled "Stadium Issues".
We can discuss any stadium related things here, as in...."Will the Raiders stay in Oakland?.....Will they build a new stadium here? Will they leave Oakland for a new stadium elsewhere?, should they share a new stadium with the 49ers?" etc.

Here's an article I just ran across from a 49ers fan who would be in favor of the Raiders and 49ers sharing a stadium because he thinks it would put the Raiders a notch below the 49ers since the stadium would be in Santa Clara and he thinks the Raiders would be in essence "sub leasing" the stadium. He likes the idea of having the Raiders a notch below the 49ers.

49ers Stadium Issues: Oakland Raiders fans versus San Francisco 49ers Fans

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/5/19/2180171/49ers-stadium-issues-oakland-raiders-fans-versus-san-francisco-49ers
HEY.........FUCK THOSE NINER BITCHES!!!!!!. Now that I got that out....EVERYONE here in the Bay area KNOWS that the Oakland Coliseum property is the BEST place for a stadium for EVERY reason...The Niners are not doing there fans any favors moving to Santa Clara...Its Hours away from the City and its a commute NIGHTMARE! Oakland is closer and it already has Bart (Millions of public money will need to be spent for a bart station in Santa Clara) and is within "walking" distance from Oakland Airport. The Train is very close and a Ferry Port could be added for "Those" other fans....The land around it is prime for redevlopement and has room for new hotels resturants ect. Bottom line is this is the 800lb gorrila in the room and THIS is where the NEW stadium should be......The Santa Clara idea had been a pain in the ass for years and there are people that will make HUGE money that bought up all the land around the Santa Calara area way before the stadium deal was released to the public......Once again the NFL is looking out for the ultra rich and well fuck the fans.......

KEEP EM' IN OAKLAND.......................!  LA RAIDERS ALWAYS SOUNDED STRANGE TO ME!

Offline Raider Greg

• Your Host
    • Raider Nation Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:01:40 AM »
I decided to create a new topic within the Raiders Talk board, entitled "Stadium Issues".
We can discuss any stadium related things here, as in...."Will the Raiders stay in Oakland?.....Will they build a new stadium here? Will they leave Oakland for a new stadium elsewhere?, should they share a new stadium with the 49ers?" etc.

Here's an article I just ran across from a 49ers fan who would be in favor of the Raiders and 49ers sharing a stadium because he thinks it would put the Raiders a notch below the 49ers since the stadium would be in Santa Clara and he thinks the Raiders would be in essence "sub leasing" the stadium. He likes the idea of having the Raiders a notch below the 49ers.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/5/19/2180171/49ers-stadium-issues-oakland-raiders-fans-versus-san-francisco-49ers
HEY.........FUCK THOSE NINER BITCHES!!!!!!. Now that I got that out....EVERYONE here in the Bay area KNOWS that the Oakland Coliseum property is the BEST place for a stadium for EVERY reason...The Niners are not doing their fans any favors moving to Santa Clara...Its Hours away from the City and its a commute NIGHTMARE! Oakland is closer and it already has BART (Millions of public money will need to be spent for a BART station in Santa Clara) and is within "walking" distance from Oakland Airport. The Train is very close and a Ferry Port could be added for "Those" other fans....The land around it is prime for redevelopment and has room for new hotels restaurants etc. Bottom line is this is the 800 lb gorrilla in the room and THIS is where the NEW stadium should be......The Santa Clara idea had been a pain in the ass for years and there are people that will make HUGE money that bought up all the land around the Santa Clara area way before the stadium deal was released to the public......Once again the NFL is looking out for the ultra rich and, well, fuck the fans.......
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:45:52 AM by Randy »

Offline RaiderWildeStyle

• The Autumn Wind
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:21:05 AM »
i dont want the raiders to move to santa clara... That would be a stupid move. Sharing a stadium with niners fans... Where all us silver & black fellas gonna pea. Itd be a stadium built wth only female cubicles and glory holes for all them faggot ass fanbase.

i would however be welcome to a move back to Los Angeles... But happy in Oakland as primary option.

Offline Randy

• Administrator
    • Raider Nation Podcast
Stadium Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:36:50 PM by Randy »