RAIDERS TALK BOARDS > Raiders and NFL Talk

Raiders Schedule

<< < (2/11) > >>

Randy:
Raiders to have fourth 'easiest' schedule in 2013
Paul Gutierrez, Comcast SportsNet
A 4-12 season has its, um, rewards, no?

The chance to coach in the Senior Bowl. The No. 3 overall draft pick. And, as it turns out, the fourth "easiest" schedule in the NFL for 2013.

At least, that's what the .469 combined winning percentage of the Raiders' opponents next season, as compiled by NFL.com, tells us...

By the way, the Denver Broncos have the NFL's easiest schedule next year

Complete story:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/paul-gutierrez/raiders-have-fourth-easiest-schedule-2013

Randy:

--- Quote from: RaiderWildeStyle on January 01, 2013, 03:05:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: houston raider on January 01, 2013, 07:59:58 AM ---             hello,
its kind of puzzling to me...the last time we played dallas was on thanksgiving in 2009-we played at the new cowboys stadium(lost badly),we also played pittsburgh in 2012 at home(coliseum) and won this past season....shouldn;t we play dallas at home in 2013 and at pittsburgh in 2013?

--- End quote ---

In regards to the Pit Game.

Our 2012 game was when we played the full AFC NORTH slate of teams and we were scheduled to play Pit at home after last playing them in the AFC NORTH schedule of games at Heinz Field (that was the same season that Bruce Gradkowski beat the Bengals at home and Pittsburgh at Heinz Field)

In regards to the Dallas game, they sometimes don't rotate it every couple of years for reasons unbeknown to me and it's happening in this instance (another time this has happened was when Randy Moss scored his 100th touchdown pass at Candlestick stadium and 4 years later you think the game would be played at Oakland, but the raiders got a 2nd consecutive trip to the the Candledick where we lost something pathetic like 13-9 after leading 9-0) 2010 season.

--- End quote ---

I think the rotation requirement is that we play each team at home and away at least once each 8 year cycle. I don't think there's any requirement that says they have to alternate home and away though. So maybe you could play home first, then away second (vs a certain team) in one 8-year cycle, then away first and home second in the next 8-year cycle.

Here is the way the rule is spelled out:

·        Teams are guaranteed to play all nondivision opponents in their conference at least once every three years, and at home at least once every six years.

·        Every AFC team will play every NFC team once every four years, and at home once every eight years.

So.... the requirement only states that we must play every AFC team at home at least once every 6 years, and every NFC team at home exactly once every 8 years....it doesn't say that if you play a team at home the first time you play them in a cycle, then away the 2nd time you play them....that in the next 8-year cycle you have to repeat this pattern. What's too keep the home/away from reversing in the next 8-year cycle? So maybe home/away in one 8-year cycle, then away/home in the next one.

For instance, play against the 49ers in SF in 2010, Oakland in 2014, Oakland again in 2018, then SF in 2022. The two away games would be 12 years apart, and the two home games 4 years apart....but you would still be within the rules of the rotation. What do you think?

RaiderWildeStyle:

--- Quote from: houston raider on January 01, 2013, 07:59:58 AM ---             hello,
its kind of puzzling to me...the last time we played dallas was on thanksgiving in 2009-we played at the new cowboys stadium(lost badly),we also played pittsburgh in 2012 at home(coliseum) and won this past season....shouldn;t we play dallas at home in 2013 and at pittsburgh in 2013?

--- End quote ---

In regards to the Pit Game.

Our 2012 game was when we played the full AFC NORTH slate of teams and we were scheduled to play Pit at home after last playing them in the AFC NORTH schedule of games at Heinz Field (that was the same season that Bruce Gradkowski beat the Bengals at home and Pittsburgh at Heinz Field)

In regards to the Dallas game, they sometimes don't rotate it every couple of years for reasons unbeknown to me and it's happening in this instance (another time this has happened was when Randy Moss scored his 100th touchdown pass at Candlestick stadium and 4 years later you think the game would be played at Oakland, but the raiders got a 2nd consecutive trip to the the Candledick where we lost something pathetic like 13-9 after leading 9-0) 2010 season.

houston raider:
             hello,

Randy:
Raiders 2013 opponents:

Home

Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs

Away

Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas, Giants, Jets, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs

By the way....

I sent an email to the guy who runs Johnny Road Trip.com, and asked him if he could clarify the "West Coast Modification" to the NFL schedule rotation. I wanted to know why the east coast teams are protected from having to make more than one west coast trip in a year....but they don't have any reciprocal protection for west coast teams traveling east. His answer made me feel kind of stupid, since it's kind of obvious now. There are way more east coast teams (17) than west coast teams (4). Here is his reply to my question:

Hi,

We have the same conspiracy theories here in Baltimore.  These idiots call in to talk shows and complain that we played at New England twice in a row, people don’t get it that the matchups are set years in advance.  I have heard national talk show guys make comments that indicate they have no idea how scheduling works.  And the old concept of a “first-place schedule” is long gone, since only two games are based on matchups.  Prior to 2002, four or five games were based on matchup, and all the fifth-placed teams played much different schedules than everyone else.

Here is a good article:  http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/discomfort-zone-impact-travel-nfl-games/14372/

There are 17 EC teams, so there is no way to avoid WC teams taking trips since there are only four of them (plus two Mountain teams).  The AFC East has four EC teams, so when the NFC/AFC West play them, they will have to take two trips east.  There are simply too many EC teams to do anything about it.  In 2017, the Raiders go to NE, NYJ, Philly, and NYG.  The best they could hope for would be to go to Dallas/Wash instead of Philly/NYG, which is what San Diego gets.  That’s why the NFL supposedly is trying to schedule WC teams at 4:00 Eastern; that is the best they can hope for really.

Nothing says EC teams cannot have two WC trips, but I think now it would happen only if a team played the AFC and NFC West in the same year.  That will still happen.  They just changed it so a team would never go to both Oakland and SD or Seattle and SF in the same year; a team could still go to Oakland and SF, however.  In fact, that will happen to the NFC East teams in 2017; for example, Dallas and the Giants will go to  San Diego and Seattle.

Note: The last game in each column is a single game against a team from the listed division to be determined by the previous year's finish. The Raiders finished in 3rd place in their division in 2012, so the 3rd place AFC North team they play in 2013 is the Steelers (home), the 3rd place AFC East team they play is the Jets (away).

NFL Standings 2012
http://www.nfl.com/standings

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version